Hello Friends!! Today I am going to share my self-made notes with you regarding Class 6 History chapter 1 :-What,Where , How and When .
This chapter is divided into two parts :-
- Map study.
So, in this part I will mostly focus on theory .
Chapter 1:- What ,Where ,How and When
Questions before studying this chapter:-
- How anyone can know what happened so many years ago?
- For yesterday we could use newspaper ,radio or television .For last year we could ask anybody who remembers but what about long,long ago? How it can be done?
What can we know about the past ?
There are several things we can find out :-
- What people ate.
- The kind of clothes they wore.
- The house in which they lived.
- The lives of hunters, headers , farmers , rulers , merchants , priests , crafts persons , artists , musicians and scientists .
- Find about the games children play , the stories they heard, the play they saw , the song they sang, etc.
Where did people live ?
Based on the various evidence and resources some information were given :-
- People have lived along the banks of the Narmada River for several hundred -thousands years.
- Some of the earliest people who lived here were skilled gatherers (who gathers their food). They knew about the vast wealth of plants in their surrounding forests and collect roots, fruits and other forest product for their food . They also hunted animals.
- Some evidences of the places like Sulaiman and Kirthar Hills , Garo Hills , Indus and its Indian Tributaries, Ganga and its tributary Son River .
Note :- Above places will be described with more detail in the next post representing Map information.
Name of our own land :-
Our country is known for two names India and Bharat(Bharata) , so lets know how our country got these names.
India comes from the Indus called Sindhu in Sanskrit . The Iranians and the Greeks who came through the Northwest about 2500 years ago were familiar with the Indus ,so called it The Hindos or The Indos, and the land to the east of the river was called India .
Bharata was used for a group of people who lived in the north-west and who are mentioned in the Rig-veda ,the earliest composition in Sanskrit (dated to about 3500 years ago). Later it was used for the country .
Finding out about the past :-
There are several ways of finding out about the past:-
- Search and read the books that were written long ago. These are called Manuscripts, because they are written by hand. They were usually written on palm leaf or on the specially prepared bark of tree called as the Brich (which grows in Himalayas).
Note :- Some related information regarding Manuscripts.
- Manuscript comes from the Latin word ” manu” which means hand .
- They were definitely the rich sources to know about our past but over years many manuscripts were destroyed or eaten by insects . But many survived , often preserved in temples and monasteries .
- What manuscripts contains ?It contains religious belief and practice , the lives of kings , medicines and science . Besides there are epics, poem , plays. and mainly written in Sanskrit.
- We can also study inscriptions, which are written on relatively hard surfaces such as stone or metal and sometimes king ‘s order inscribed in it.
- There are many other things that were used and made in past. Those who study these objects are called Archaeologists. They do the study of buildings , inscriptions, manuscripts etc and predict the history based on the materials they discovers from the ground after digging or from the old remains.
What does dates mean ?
As we know there should be particular reference for measuring something so that we can compare it and relate our measurement with it . Same way if we talk about the dates , there is a particular reference for it which is The Birth Year Of Jesus Christ .
If there is a date present before the year of Jesus Christ ‘s Birth then it is represents as Date BC.Where BC=”Before Christ”,
- Sometimes also used BCE in place of BC where BCE=”Before common era”
- and sometimes it is used as BP=”Before Present”.
- Here date usually counts in the opposite way which is shown below .But here 2000 BC is considered as past for 200 BC since 200 BC > 2000 BC
If there is a date present after the year of Jesus Christ’s Birth then it is represents as Date AD. Where AD =” Anno Domini
- Sometimes also used CE in place of AD where CE=” Common Era”.
- Here date usually counts in the same way like Natural numbers.
So friends this is the first chapter of class 6 :- What,Where , How and When and I have only mention the theory part in it , for the map part go to next post of mine .
- .For more education related stuff –CLICK HERE
- If you are interested in music and facts –CLICK HERE
- If you wanna explore places for travels and wanna know about their facts –CLICK HERE